Thursday, May 27, 2010

Tweener Time...Angling Report

Well, I decided to stay in today. I received 4" of wet snow at my place last evening and more is expected today! It still remains "tweener-time", most especially on the LT...so I thought!

I received a couple of glowing reports from da Wood-Splitter's Dad of a nice rise and BWO emergence on the LT. That really piqued my interest. So on Tuesday I had to commit to an exploratory venture to the LT. The weather had been...as it currently continues to be...cold, over-cast, rain, sleet, snow & gusty.

I got there late, 3PM. There was a party of four leaving. I spoke with one of the fly-anglers, da owner of the Reno Fly Shop. He informed me that...yes indeed...there was a rise and some trout were eating BWO's. ...earlier. Oh well, I decided to wet a line anyway.

I had a rewarding session. During my 3-6 PM session I hooked 6 and landed 6. I was elated having previously experienced three, blank "scouting" sessions on the BT and LT and last year I had a depressing 8 hook-up/ZERO land session.

There were no bugs and no surface-feeders; tactically I decided on "fishing the water" with a #14 Little, Dark Flesh Juan trailing a #20 Olive Sparkle Pupa under my new "clown" indicator and three (3) # 6 split-shot. Five of the six netted were RB's with the smallest being 17" and the largest 18-1/2". The biggest was a tapped a 19-1/4" Brown male. There was no discernible preference of flies eaten, each fooled three. The Brown ate the # 20 fly; I was envisioning a "20-20" during the ensuing struggle. What was really surprising, and it reinforces my practice of "off-setting" flies that are #20 and smaller, the #20 was embedded in the kip of the brown's lower lip.

Please continue to transmit you wishes to the sun-gods. and the talisman of moving waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment