Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Land of the Patagone...gone?

As I sit here in my living room looking at Mother Nature's harmless, gently falling snow; I can't stop thinking of MN's not-so-benign behavior...such as the 8.8 earthquake that shook central Chile and produced devastating ruins in some of the coastal towns. Fortunately there were some enlightened building codes...if not there would have been more death. Chalk this one to hind-sight and the government getting it right after Chile experienced a huge quake that killed 3000 in 1964.

While at the Pleasanton Fly Fishing show, replying to e-notes, calls and phone messages at home in Truckee; I explained that where I visit is 600 miles south of the epicenter of the quake. There was no damage in the Coyhaique area. Visit the current, on-line issue of Sierra Fisherman at http://www.sierrafisherman.com/, page 16 for an article on the region I visit.

I've been in contact with one of the lodge-owners and guides, whose families reside in Santiago and have been informed that all is well. Although one of the guides e-noted that this natural disaster is really playing havoc with the psyche of the Chileans.

No comments:

Post a Comment