Monday, October 1, 2018

Egg-Time!



While many anglers are currently obsessed with the huge Lahontan Cutthroat at Pyramid Lake; now is the time some Truckee anglers start thinking about fishing for the big Browns of fall-time. Our "fly" of choice is that of an egg imitation.  Personally I do not "peg" a plastic ovum pattern. I use yarn, egg imitations; many anglers call them "Glo-Bugs". I will experiment fishing with different colors, in  light and dark shades; finding-out which produces best.

Tactically, we do not fish on/in spawning redds...unethical! We look for that first riffle and/or vertex of currents below the redds. I always trail a smallish fly pattern (midge larva or BWO nymph) behind my egg fly. You'll be surprised what may eat the trailer...could be a big brown. About 10 years ago I netted a 24" Brown which ate a #20 Black Midge emerger...a unique occurrence for inclusion into the "20-20" club.

ince I
...they do not always ingest the egg
     
Recently I received an egg-tying lesson from long-time Truckee guide and expert fly-tyer "JR" (John Roberts). I was enlightened as to how the circular, yarn patterns were made. I had envisioned the tyer meticulously scissor-cutting/trimming the yarn into a perfectly round globe...I was wrong.    


























No comments:

Post a Comment